Good for Business
Good for Business
Arnis Riekstins, a co-owner of the Mikrotikls company, earned EUR 30.15 mln last year becoming the top earner in Latvia in 2015, according to a list of Latvia's biggest earners, losers, and dividend recipients last year, compiled by Lursoft, business magazine Kapitals, and journalists Lato Lapsa and Kristine Jancevska.
Keyword tags: Banks, Business, Financial Services, Industry, Latvia, Markets and Companies, Medicine, Rating, Technology, Telecomunications
Baltic States: News & Analytics
Analytics, EU – Baltic States, Baltic States – CIS, Legislation, Modern EU
The loan and lease portfolio continued to increase relatively quickly in July, growing by 5% over the year.The average interest rate on loans has risen slightly in recent months.The volume of deposits was 7.3% larger in July than a year earlier
Keyword tags: Analytics, Banks, Estonia, Loan, Market Review, Real Estate
Baltic States: Economy
Transport, Markets and Companies, Energy, Real Estate, Technology, Tourism, LIVE RĪGA, Baltic export
The Public Utilities Commission on Thursday decided that joint-stock natural gas company Latvijas Gaze could not temporarily bar the power utility Latvenergo from accessing natural gas transmission and distribution system, reports LETA.
Keyword tags: Energy, Energy Market, Gas, Latvia, Lithuania, Markets and Companies
24.08.2016.Latvijas Dzelzcels rail company to cooperate with Russia's largest freight railway operator
Baltic States: Finances & Investments
Financial Services, Investments, Buy / Sell Business
While the new joint unit for Baltic banking of Nordea and DNB will increase competition on the Estonian retail market, risks of the Latvian and Lithuanian banking market will have a greater impact on the financial stability of Estonia in the future, the Bank of Estonia said on Thursday, reports LETA/BNS.
Keyword tags: Analytics, Baltic, Banks, Cooperation, Estonia, Financial Services
Education and Science
Education and Science, Economic History, Book review
Children may have to start school at the age of six in the 2018/2019 school year, Education and Science Minister Karlis Sadurskis (Unity) said at a meeting of the Latvian Trade Union of Education and Science Employees Council today, reports LETA.
Keyword tags: Education and Science, Labour-market, Latvia, Society
18.08.2016.The presentation of the book donation by The Gorbachev Foundation at the Academic Library of the University of Latvia
16.08.2016.EUR 164 mln made available for development of infrastructure of Latvia`s scientific institutions
30.06.2016.Number of Latvian school students, who fail at centralized graduation exams twice as high as in 2015
Baltic States: Opinion
Over the last few years, the information and communications technologies sector (ICT) has been among those with fastest growth. It is no secret that in recent years rapid expansion of different ICT services could be observed in Latvia: programming, data storage, development of mobile applications, development of various complex ICT solutions, etc. However, unlike retail trade or manufacturing, the sector usually is not in the spotlight of economic analysts and policy makers. This can be explained by the size of the sector – ICT only accounts for about 5% of the total value added, even though this level is close to the European Union's average. Nevertheless, the success of the sector should be noted: it is one of the fastest growing, with high productivity levels, high average salary, implementation of latest technologies, and other positive features.
Keyword tags: Analytics, Banks, Direct Speech, Industry, Innovations, Internet, Latvia, Technology, Telecomunications
Commission proposed (18 May) its 2016 country-specific recommendations (CSRs), setting out economic policy guidance for all EU states for the next 12-18 months. In addition to efforts already identified in EU-2020 strategy, this economic guidance instrument focuses on priority reforms to strengthen the recovery of EU-28 economies by boosting investment, implementing structural reforms and pursuing fiscal responsibility.
Keyword tags: Analytics, Education and Science, EU – Baltic States, Financial Services, Latvia, Legislation, Round Table
On 15-16 August 2016 Samarkand hosted an International Conference on the theme “Enhancing the role of non-state electronic media in the process of democratization and modernization of the state: the experience of Uzbekistan”. The conference was attended by experts from Germany, France, Latvia, Lithuania, Bulgaria, the Czech Republic, Russia.
Keyword tags: Baltic States – CIS, Forum
20.07.2016.The largest telecommunications conference in the Baltic States Telco Trends will take place in Jurmala, in August
- 24.08.20162 in 3 largest Baltic firms of Lithuanian origin
- 24.08.2016TS Laevad in talks to find 4 substitute ferries
- 24.08.2016Fuel excise duty receipts are growing in Estonia
- 23.08.2016Lithuanian software company to launch the smart terminal managing the whole flight training system
- 23.08.201643% of Latvians think well before taking consumer loans
- 23.08.2016Latvian government approves route of Latvian-Estonian high-voltage power line
- 23.08.2016Lithuanian apple producers can't compete with imported produce
- 23.08.2016Nordecon to build mechanized unit infrastructure for EUR 19 mln in Estonia
- 22.08.2016A New Zealand investor suffered from a raider attack made by the official authorities of the Republic of Kazakhstan
- 22.08.2016China’s investment enters the Baltic Sea region from Denmark
- 22.08.2016Financial Police forward 30 criminal cases to prosecutor's office in H1
- 22.08.2016A coin folder and first day cover are to be released to commemorate 25 years since Estonia regained independence
- 22.08.2016Latvian architect Pilens named 16th brightest business mind in Northern Europe
- 22.08.2016The producer price index of industrial output decreased in July in Estonia
- 22.08.2016Avg milk purchase price in Estonia down 14.1% in July
- 22.08.2016Klaipeda occupied the 3-rd standing in the list of the Eastern coast Baltic Seaports