Good for Business
Good for Business
According to Statistics Estonia, there were 2.6 million cinema visits in 2014, which is an all-time record since the restoration of independence. In the last nine years, cinema attendance has increased each year.
Keyword tags: Analytics, Estonia, Good for Business, Markets and Companies, Society
Baltic States: News & Analytics
Analytics, EU – Baltic States, Baltic States – CIS, Legislation, Business in Europe
According to the latest data of the Central Statistical Bureau (CSB) at the beginning of 2015, the number of population of Latvia accounted for 1 mln 986.1 thsd people, which is 15.4 thsd less than a year before. In 2014, the number of population witnessed a slower decrease (decrease of 0.77%) as compared to 2013 (1.10%).
Keyword tags: Analytics, Baltic States – CIS, Demography, EU – Baltic States, Latvia, Society
27.05.2015.Latvia: for the growth in developing countries, financial support and their capacity to implement reforms are of equal importance
27.05.2015.Estonian employers want to raise minimum wage to 448 euros in 2 years, trade unions – by a quarter more
Baltic States: Economy
Transport, Markets and Companies, Energy, Real Estate, Technology, Tourism, LIVE RĪGA, Baltic export
On May 27th 2015, joint-stock gas supply company Latvijas Gaze has begun pumping gas into the Incukalns Underground Storage Facility in preparation for the next heating season, the company's spokesman Vinsents Makaris explained, adding that due to the warm winter, the company has started to pump gas into the facility about a month later than usual, informs LETA.
27.05.2015.Latvian Presidency in EU: the balance between human rights and technological progress should be found
Baltic States: Finances & Investments
Financial Services, Investments, Buy / Sell Business
The Latvian banking sector operated with a profit of EUR 148.6 million in the first four months of 2015, reports LETA, according to the Financial and Capital Market Commission's preliminary data about Latvian banks' performance in the first quarter.
Keyword tags: Banks, Financial Services, Latvia
26.05.2015.Swedbank would gladly issue EUR 1 bln in loans if Latvian companies were ready to accept it
Education and Science
Education and Science, Economic History, Book review
A book about Latvian, Baltic, and Nordic films and the filmmaking industry – "Stork Flying over Pinewood", which was officially presented by Liv Ullmann at the Riga International Film Festival 2014, has landed in bookstores.
Keyword tags: Book review, EU – Baltic States, Latvia, Markets and Companies
14.05.2015.Latvian and foreign experts to discuss EU’s and Russia’s “soft power” in the Baltic States and Eastern Neighbourhood
13.05.2015.Minister: Latvian schools with small number of pupils won’t be able to employ many teachers
Baltic States: Opinion
In an interview with LETA, the former director of the Constitutional Protection Bureau Janis Kazocins said that if Russian President Vladimir Putin loses power, even darker times could fall on Russia.
Keyword tags: Baltic States – CIS, Direct Speech, Latvia, Legislation, Russia
12.05.2015.Kristalina Georgieva: Latvia is among five countries feeling the largest benefits from EU budget
The article underlines the Commission efforts towards media sector plays a key economic, social and cultural role in the EU. Generally, Europe has a strong media industry, which creates growth and jobs and presents European life, history, culture and values around the world. The media landscape is following a transformation, characterized by a steady increase of convergence of media services, with a visible move towards intertwining traditional broadcast and internet. The EU institutions cannot do much about regulating the media sector in the member states as these “regulations”, according to the Lisbon Treaty, are of supplementing and coordinating character.
Keyword tags: Education and Science, EU – Baltic States, Latvia, Legislation, Markets and Companies, Round Table, Technology
President Dalia Grybauskaite opened Konrad Adenauer Foundation’s conference. In her welcome address, the President underlined that only a strong, dynamic and united EU can meet the expectations of its citizens and counterbalance the challenges faced, reports BC presidential press service.
Keyword tags: EU – Baltic States, Forum, Lithuania
- 27.05.2015Latvian president praises work of NATO Center of Excellence for Strategic Communications
- 27.05.2015Lithuania's Tripartite Council discusses labour relations again
- 27.05.2015Regional security – common interest of Lithuania and U.S.
- 27.05.2015Lithuanian citizen formally charged with espionage in Russia
- 27.05.2015Businessman: production in Latvia becoming unprofitable due to high mandatory procurement component
- 26.05.2015In Q1, gross earnings in Lithuania decreased by 2.1%
- 26.05.2015Latvian Finance Ministry projects 2.1% growth in 2015; inflation forecast at 0.4%
- 26.05.2015Lithuania strongly supports Georgia
- 26.05.2015Melbarde revives idea of new concert hall in Riga
- 26.05.2015Latvian CultMin will need almost EUR 9 mln for 'pressing matters' in 2016
- 26.05.2015Estonian Nelja Energia issued EUR 50 mln worth of bonds
- 26.05.2015Mayor Sesks: job market situation in Liepaja is not hopeless
- 26.05.2015Grybauskaite: Lithuania was late to set up national airline
- 26.05.2015Eesti Pank: slower wage growth helps preserve jobs
- 26.05.2015Liepajas metalurgs insolvency administrator received EUR 1.03 mln in remuneration in 2014
- 26.05.2015Hansson: financing new investments with government bonds would have been ineffective in Estonia