Good for Business
Good for Business
In the first half of the year 2014, compared to the same period last year, the Latvian town of Sigulda registered a 27.8% increase in the number of guests staying at local accommodation establishments, LETA was informed by the Sigulda Regional Council.
Keyword tags: Baltic States – CIS, EU – Baltic States, Good for Business, Latvia, Tourism
Baltic States: News & Analytics
Analytics, EU – Baltic States, Baltic States – CIS, Legislation, Business in Europe
The European Parliament (EP) welcomes the ratification of the Association Agreement with Ukraine and steps being taken to restore peace in Ukraine, at the same time condemning the Russian Federation for waging an undeclared "hybrid war" against Ukraine, urging the European Union member states to cancel planned agreements with Russia in the energy sector and to support farmers affected by Russia's food embargo, as Marta Ribele, acting head of the EP Information Office in Latvia, informed LETA.
Keyword tags: Baltic States – CIS, Energy, EU – Baltic States, Financial Services, Legislation, Markets and Companies, Russia
Baltic States: Economy
Transport, Markets and Companies, Energy, Real Estate, Technology, Tourism, LIVE RĪGA, Baltic export
On Thursday, Lithuanian Prime Minister Algirdas Butkevicius met with Yusuf K. Hamied, Chairman of the Board of the Indian pharmaceutical company Cipla, during his visit to Lithuania, reported LETA/ELTA the prime minister's press service.
Keyword tags: Education and Science, Investments, Lithuania, Markets and Companies, Medicine
Baltic States: Finances & Investments
Financial Services, Investments, Buy / Sell Business
Lithuanian parliament, with 61 members voting in favour, 5 against with 2 abstentions, has adopted the Law on the Bank of Lithuania, which had been returned by President Dalia Grybauskaite for improvement, along with all amendments proposed by the president, informs LETA/ELTA.
Keyword tags: Banks, Financial Services, Legislation, Lithuania
Education and Science
Education and Science, Economic History, Book review
"QS World University Rankings" – a list of the world's top universities – has included seven Baltic universities this year. Out of the seven Baltic universities on the list, the University of Latvia (LU) is the only university representing Latvia. Tartu is leading in Baltics, reports LETA.
Keyword tags: Education and Science, EU – Baltic States, Rating
Baltic States: Opinion
The Russian government is laying the groundwork for a Ukrainian scenario in the Baltic countries, arguing that the three are mistreating ethnic Russians, that the West has failed to oppose such actions, and that Moscow is compelled under the circumstances to work to protect these members of "the Russian world,” American analyst and expert on Soviet Union matters, Paul Goble warns, cites LETA.
Keyword tags: Baltic States – CIS, Direct Speech, Latvia, Legislation, Russia, USA
The article underlines the Commission efforts towards media sector plays a key economic, social and cultural role in the EU. Generally, Europe has a strong media industry, which creates growth and jobs and presents European life, history, culture and values around the world. The media landscape is following a transformation, characterized by a steady increase of convergence of media services, with a visible move towards intertwining traditional broadcast and internet. The EU institutions cannot do much about regulating the media sector in the member states as these “regulations”, according to the Lisbon Treaty, are of supplementing and coordinating character.
Keyword tags: Education and Science, EU – Baltic States, Latvia, Legislation, Markets and Companies, Round Table, Technology
The Baltic countries will have a joint stand at the international tourism fair "JATA Tourism Expo Japan 2014" that will be held in Tokyo on September 25-28, the State Tourism Development Agency's public relations officer Inta Briede told the Nozare.lv business portal.
- 18.09.2014Construction Inspectorate is demanding to destroy a biofuel plant in Vilnius
- 18.09.2014Latvian Saeima approves mechanisms to compensate needy residents for of electricity price growth
- 18.09.2014Latvian Saeima approves extension of tax payment terms for companies suffering from Russia's sanctions
- 18.09.2014Latvian Saeima turns Nationalists’ repeat proposal to suspend issuing residence permits to Russians
- 18.09.2014Estonia's birth rate slightly higher than death rate in August
- 18.09.2014Lithuania highlights development of intermodal transport in Milan
- 18.09.2014Grybauskaite discussed illegal work issues with head of International Labour Organisation
- 18.09.2014Latvia and Poland: EU has enough resources to compensate farmers hit by Russia embargo
- 18.09.2014Latvian MFA criticizes comments made by Russia's Dolgov
- 18.09.2014Estonian farmers distribute free milk
- 18.09.2014Latvian supermodel Ginta Lapina sues her agency
- 18.09.2014Litgas receives EUR 83.3 mln credit line from Swedbank
- 18.09.2014Paet: no signal suggests that Russia stalls border treaty
- 17.09.2014Riga Court overturns decision ordering NP Foods assets frozen
- 17.09.2014Estonian state supports work on Paldiski nuclear object with 2.1 mln euros
- 17.09.2014Latvia registers EU's fourth highest inflation level in August