Latvia, Legislation, Security, Transport

International Internet Magazine. Baltic States news & analytics Thursday, 27.11.2014, 21:27

Latkovskis: Vitronic has ruined a good idea about transport safety in Latvia

Alla Petrova, BC, Riga, 22.08.2012.Print version
Vitronic Baltica un partneri (Vitronic), the company hired to set up highway speed cameras, has ruined a good idea about transport safety and should not be allowed to continue with the job, Saeima Defense, Internal Affairs and Corruption Prevention Committee Chairman Ainars Latkovskis (Unity) opined in an interview on Latvian Radio.

Latkovskis believes that the contract with Vitronic should be terminated. Nevertheless, he allows the possibility that the company could offer the state to buyout the speed cameras. In such a case, it would be necessary to thoroughly study all documents, certificates and transaction sums. It must not be allowed that the company, not being able to fulfill its contractual provisions, dumps them on the state's shoulders, quits and earns at the expense of the state, writes LETA.

 

Latkovskis points out that the State Police has also made a mistake. According to the contract, it should have acted on October 20, 2011 and warned the company for not observing the contract. However, the State Police and the Interior Ministry hesitated until this past January and postponed the matter until May.

 

If the State Police warned the company when it had the first chance to do so, the contract would have been terminated by now, believes Latkovskis. Vitronic won the tender only because it promised to transfer 65% of profit to the state budget and keep the remaining 35%, explains the politician.

 

Latkovskis confirms that Vitronic has been given another chance, but this time, it will last less than a month.

 

As reported, on July 24, the State Police announced about its intention to terminate the contract with Vitronic for the company's failure to meet deadlines in setting up 160 fixed speed cameras in Latvia.

 

The company was given 20 days to provide explanations and suggestions for solving the current situation.

 

The State Police has received the company's explanations and must make a decision accordingly within 10 workdays.






Search site