Crime, Legislation, Lithuania, Security

International Internet Magazine. Baltic States news & analytics Wednesday, 14.04.2021, 22:37

Explosion in Vilnius was planned during daytime with people around – police rep

BC, Vilnius, 27.06.2020.Print version
The bomb placed at the building housing international company in Vilnius last October did not go off but it could have caused major damage to the building and injured many people, Rolandas Kiskis, chief of Lithuania's criminal police, says LETA/BNS.

The suspect planned to detonate the bomb during daytime with many people in the building.

According to Kiskis, the young man, born in 1999, made the bomb with a clock mechanism himself as he gained necessary knowledge during his studies and bought necessary components legally.

"It was not an attempt to intimidate. The device had one small drawback and did not go off in time. It had a clock mechanism, yes," Kiskis told.

The pre-trial investigation was launched on October 6 after a home-made explosive was found at a wall of the building housing international company Western Union and inscriptions "FK IVISION“, "SIEGE" and swastikas were sprayed on the wall using black paint.

According to Kiskis, although the suspect affiliates himself with the far-right extremist group Feuerkrieg Division and is suspected to have produced and kept powerful explosives and explosive substances, no evidence has been found that he had any accomplices in Lithuania.

"He studied in Vilnius but had already dropped out when he was detained. But he studied at a place where it's possible to gain knowledge about explosives. He was radicalized and supporting radical neo-Nazi movements, was interested in related literature, supporting similar movements in foreign countries, having radical attitudes towards ethnic minorities and the established democratic order. He just wanted to get attention and express his protest in a certain way," the criminal police chief said.

"And it’s a fact that he had contact with people in other countries as one would not think this alone," he said.

Kiskis also said the police in cooperation with the State Security Department and prosecutors took ten days to identify the man through criminal intelligence.

Search site