International Internet Magazine. Baltic States news & analytics
Sunday, 21.09.2014, 11:03
Are there benefits for working pensioners in Latvia?
Answer: According to Paragraph 11 of the Law on State pensions, women and men who have reached the age of 62 years and whose length of period of insurance is not less than 10 years have a right to an old-age pension. A person who has been granted an old-age pension, shall be issued with a pension certificate by the State Social Insurance Agency according to the procedures prescribed by the Cabinet.
The only thing stipulated in the Labour law of the Republic of Latvia in respect of pensioners is the preference in case of reduction in the number of employees. According to Paragraph 108 of Labour law of the Republic of Latvia, in the case of a reduction in the number of employees, preference to continue employment relations shall be for those employees who have higher performance results and higher qualifications.
If performance results and qualifications do not substantially differ, preference to remain in employment shall be for those employees:
1) who have worked for the relevant employer for a longer time;
2) who, while working for the relevant employer, have suffered an accident or have fallen ill with an occupational disease;
3) who are raising a child up to 14 years of age or a disabled child up to 18 years of age;
4) who have two or more dependants;
5) whose family members do not have a regular income;
6) who are disabled persons or are suffering from radiation sickness;
7) who have participated in the rectification of the consequences of the accident at the Chernobyl Atomic Power Plant;
8) for whom less than five years remain until reaching the age of retirement;
9) who, without discontinuing work, are acquiring an occupation (profession, trade) in an educational institution; and
10) who have been granted the status of politically repressed person.
None of the preferences referred above shall have priority in comparison with the others.
Law office INLAT PLUS
Brivibas 40-15, Riga