Gas, Gas Market , Good for Business, Latvia, Lithuania

International Internet Magazine. Baltic States news & analytics Friday, 14.08.2020, 10:07

Natural gas supply to Latvia via Lithuania doubles in H1

BC, Vilnius, 14.07.2020.Print version
A total of 2.5 terawatt-hours (TWh) of natural gas were transported through Lithuania to Latvia in the first half of 2020, a two-fold increase from 1.2 TWh in the same period last year, Lithuania's natural gas transmission system operator said LETA/BNS.

Some 15.3 TWh of gas were supplied to Lithuania, up by almost 10% from 14 TWh a year ago, Amber Grid said. The figure does not include gas transportation through Lithuania to Russia's Kaliningrad region.


 Despite a decrease in Lithuania's gas consumption in the first quarter due to the warm winter, the total figure for the first half is unchanged from the year-earlier level, at 12.6 TWh, Amber Grid said.   


Consumption in Lithuania has been recently driven up by intensive electricity generation at Ignitis Gamyba's facilities, the operator said, attributing the higher-than-usual use of gas as a source of power generation to low gas prices and the favorable situation in the electricity market.


The Klaipeda liquefied natural gas (LNG) terminal accounted for 72% of the overall gas supplies to consumers in Lithuania and the other two Baltic countries. The remaining 28% came via pipelines from Belarus and Latvia. 


Gas transportation from Belarus to Russia's Kaliningrad region via Lithuania fell by 8% in the first half of 2020 year-on-year to 12.4 TWh. 


Gas is currently supplied to Lithuania through the Klaipeda LNG terminal and from Russia via Belarus and Latvia. The planned launch of Gas Interconnector Poland-Lithuania (GIPL) in 2022 will give Lithuania and the other Baltic countries another source of gas supply.

 






Search site